I promised myself that I wouldn’t go back to school until I knew exactly what I wanted to study. I couldn’t see myself sitting in a classroom surrounded by grade mongers.
I also knew that what I want to learn and devote a significant amount of time to wouldn’t be found in a course catalogue at top tier school.
And that’s when I approached Elijah Ignatieff, the founder of the School of Conscious Communication, to be my Guru on my journey towards mastering systems thinking and conscious communication.
The countless business and spirituality books I’ve read had prepared me for the day that I sent Elijah this message:
Elijah, I don’t know what I can offer you in return at this point, but I hope you can trust that I will find a way. If this means that I’ll need to move to Vancouver for a while, I’m willing to do it. Start from the beginning. Teach me everything you know.
My earnest, burning desire to learn was palpable and well-received. Elijah’s response to my message:
1. How much time are you willing to commit to this per month?
2. What else are you working on? Are employed full-time? Just wondering on your energy capacity…
It was comforting to know that my teacher wanted to know what else I had going on in my life. He was already demonstrating a holistic approach in his thinking and teaching.
Here’s the weekly plan that we devised for the next four months –
- Reading – 3 hours
- Homework Exercises – 3 hours
- One-on-One Skype Class Time – 1 hour
- Reflection Writing – 2 hours (minimum)
- Researching – 1 hour
- Practical Application (with clients) – 2 hours a week
- Conscious Conversation (with family & friends) – 2 hours a week
Total Hours per Week: 14
In the next several postings, I’ll share with you how I met Elijah and why I have a burning desire to master systems thinking. I hope you’ll follow along as I journey into the New Paradigm with Elijah as my guide.